Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Mystery Symbols





From practically the day we moved in, I have wondered about these two wooden stars affixed to the front of the house on the day basement wall. The previous owners say the stars were there when they bought the house in 1978. I wonder if they were put up by previous owners to signify family members gone away to war. I got that idea from the movie Saving Private Ryan. Internet research revealed more about Blue Star Quilts. I think the basement was added sometime later than the original 1930s construction and the blue stars were mostly used between WWI and Korea. If these were originally symbolic of family members away to war, I hope they were blue stars and not gold.





3 comment(s):

  • Symbology is fascinating, isn't it? Mike and I listened to the audio version of The Da Vinci Code on our honeymoon, and aside from the lame characters and hokey plot, we enjoyed Robert Langdon's symbology lectures.

    By Blogger Kasmira, at 11/17/2004 07:36:00 AM  

  • It is fun to speculate! They definitely look "homemade" since they are not oriented the same. You could do some "art curator restoration" and find out what color they used to be.......I have to know now! Do you know anything else about who used to live in the house in its earlier years?? (Sneetches?)I didn't remember the part about the stars from "Private Ryan", but from "The Fighting Sullivans" (I am old!)

    Vicky


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/18/2004 10:00:00 PM  

  • I enjoyed reading that book for the same reasons. The plot did get a little cumbersome. I felt like there should be somebody there, accompanying my on and organ as I read, so as to give the necessay Da Da Dummms - No it is really Benji in the library with a lead pipe!

    Or something like that...

    I will definitely do some forensic work on those stars. Thats an intriguing idea. I don't think I'll get a chance at chipping paint with a razor in the day light until Sunday but then, I'll be on it!

    What I know about previous owners:
    The renters who lived there right before us were extremely unkind
    The people who lived there from 78 until about 99 did a lot of work to the place and improved it quite a bit.
    The guy who lived there until 78 was a motorcycle buff and used to have his workshop on the then dirt floor of the basement.
    The people who lived there in the 50s must have been quite the gardeners - planting boxwoods, fruit trees, and lots and lots of Rhodys and juniper. They were probably also the first proud owners of the gray with pink flowers wallpaper that is under the current wood paneling in the front room.

    Thats about all I know so far. Maybe today will be the day I finally spend my lunch break over at the county building, researching the title.


    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 11/19/2004 09:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home