Tuesday, March 15, 2005

More Questions

OK, so I'm going to plant my onions three inches apart and my potatoes about a foot apart. When you say I should mound them, you mean I should heap dirt up around the stalk of the plant after it pops up, right? Also, when I cut up my starter potatoes, I'm planning on leaving two or more eyes per peice. Sound about right?

6 comment(s):

  • Yes, either dirt or straw they say. I've only used potato sets, but honestly I think you could do just about anything with a potato and it would still grow happily.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3/16/2005 12:13:00 PM  

  • I always mount the potatoes and the corn when they come up. With the spuds you can get larger potato's. Good space for the onions, and when thye get larger bend them over at the base and the whites will get nice a big...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/17/2005 02:32:00 PM  

  • Oh how carnal. Mounting corn and potatoes. And when onions get big, bend them over at the base and the whites (of their eyes, I can only assume) get big...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3/17/2005 07:33:00 PM  

  • Hey, hey, hey! This is a family blog! We'll have now corning around in the rows, I mean ranks!

    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 3/17/2005 07:39:00 PM  

  • OK OK mound the potato's how funny is that, guess I was typing to fast before my run...oops...but then again you never know what happens in that garden at night..as for the onions...hello..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/18/2005 08:25:00 AM  

  • the key to potatoes, if you dont use sets, is to use ones from an organic market or a farmers' market for planting...the ones from the regular ole grocery store are sprayed with something that keeps the eyes from sprouting for as long as possible so they can be stored in the giant produce section mound...i'm putting my potatoes in the ground this weekend...even if the sky does continue to fall

    By Blogger merideth, at 3/19/2005 09:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home