Monday, August 16, 2004

Lessons Learned, Regarding Decks

When I get back from vacation, I will be posting pics I took of the underside of my aunt and uncles new deck. Most people would probably be more inclinded to photo the excellent view of the water from their West Seattle hills home, but hey, who cares.

Lesson One: Pay the extra dough for cedar instead of regular deck wood. The grain looks and feels great and it won't be as prone to warping.

Lesson Two: If possible, buy the timber six months in advance and store it stacked - again to try preventing the warping.

Lesson Three; Railings: The 2x4 and 2x2 railing design they used is much sturdier that what I've done so far and looks good. (Pics soon). I have been considering ripping out what I've done so far and starting over.

Lesson Four: Use a hole saw bit to recess the bolts into the 4x4 railing supports. Substitute chromed, dome headed bolts for the hex headed lag bolts I used. They look alot better and you don't need the hex head leverage as the bolt is going to snug against the wood anyway. I bet the chrome will probably be less likely to rust that the galvanized bolts I used. Again, after starting at the overly long bolts with multiple washers and spacers used to keep the bolt up on the threaded part of the bolt, every time I go up my steps, I'm ready to replace them.

Lesson Five: For decks that turn a corner (the next one I replace at CC will), horizontally laid decking planks look really good and allow you to more sturdily anchor across the two rectangular support boxes that will meet at the corner.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home