Tuesday, September 07, 2004

To Labor or not to Labor? Silly Question...

Back to work after a busy four days off. Friday I got two pickup loads of gravel for the driveway and humped a load of pea gravel one duffel bag at a time (10 shovels per bag) up the steps and filled in anther little area in the pation project. Saturday I spent most of the day working with wire brush bits and grinders, getting all the old blacking and rust off the woodstove and then reblacking it. Sunday I didn't accomplish anything :). Yesterday I put a coat of stain and seal on the deck and then spent the rest of the day assembling apple pies to go in the freezer with my wife and mother. I think deck seal is an area where it pays to get the good stuff. I can't remember the brand but the stuff I've been really happy with has a nut oil base. Its twenty five bucks a can but the wood stays sealed and has a very nice natural looking sheen instead of looking like its coated in plastic.

2 comment(s):

  • Hey Scott!
    Dude, that's a lot of gravel. I hope you didnt have to go up a big hill or anything too terrible. You are a man with a mission, clearly.

    Oh, and thanks for the tip on Ann's mailbox posting at Chateau. I like the nice simple design they chose. I'd run across the site from which they bought theirs but didnt find anything that suited the house, our taste, and our budget. But we're pretty pleased with the one we got.

    cheers!


    By Blogger merideth, at 9/09/2004 01:47:00 PM  

  • Meredith,

    I can tell you exactly from the truck to the hole the pea gravel went into - its five steps up, two paces, 17 steps up, 9 paces, three steps down, seven paces. It is a lot of back work, but it doesn't cost much and the return on investment of sweat equity is definitely there. We built a 3' tall, 40' long retaining/decorative wall up in the same area. Lumping all the concrete up there made the gravel seem like a cake walk. If I were an elf and lived for six or seven hundred years, I'd probably get the whole hillside terraced into little paths and landings with patios, pruned fruit trees and little garden areas. As it is, I'll probably be doing good to get the hillside into grass instead of blackberries and knot weed before the bairn goes off to college.

    SD


    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 9/09/2004 02:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home