Friday, January 07, 2005

Christmas Comes a Little Late

Today was another looong day at work - fun but taxing. We were pulling A/V cable in the new building and I got to climb around on little cat walks between ducts, so theres something you frequently see on T.V. but never do, that I got to actually do.

After work, without having had a lunch break, with low blood sugar, and with all the other stuff at work, I was feeling pretty surly until I got to the post office and discovered that my treat had arrived. With a gift card we got for Christmas and a little credit card infusion, I ordered a 3.25 horsepower, 16" bar electronic chainsaw. I was happy today to take it out of the box and find what looks like a fairly well made model with a good oiling system and a robust looking cowling around the engine.

I should explain that we live in a semi-rural part of the Pacific Northwest. In our mild and moist climate conifers almost explode from the soil like popcorn and do a little dance as they zip skyward. Wood fuel is literally falling down around our ears. Last winter we ran the baseboard heat all the time - hoping not to kill our newborne child. This past summer and fall I cut between 8 and 10 cords of wood* (the next door neighbor cut 8 acres of commercial timber and let me get at the scrap) and we, with blood, sweat and tears, managed to get the woodstove installed. Our power bill for last November was $350, and was $47 this year so you can see why I get a little loopy when a wild cherry goes down up the road.

The property came with a delapidated pole metal building that is about 2000 sq. feet. Last summer I about filled it with 5' lengths of fir and alder that I imagined I would spend my copious free time lopping up this winter. I did all the small stuff on my table saw over Christmas break and have been anticipating the arrival of the electric chainsaw for the stuff thicker than your average bicep. I like my gas saw well enough (a husky woodsman 445 with a 20" bar). Its got good power, doesn't overheat, has a deep enough bar to buck up anything that isn't so wide I'd have to split the rounds on the spot, and is light enougth to get around, but I thought an electric saw would be quieter and more fuel efficient for work inside the shed.

So I've got my braces built, my saws oiled and sharpened. Theres a fresh can of gas and oil ready to go. Tomorrow I'll don eyes, ears, boots, mask, and my navy blue surplus coveralls with the logo "Ocean Queen" stitched on the left breast and get to sawing. Theres BTUs to be had.

SD

*A cord of wood usually refers to a stack of split wood that is 4'x4'x8'. A "face cord" or a "rick" is usually a half-cord. Around here is is not uncommon to see a guy sitting in the Safeway parking lot with a Nissan or Ford Ranger backed up to face the highway with a cord of wood for sale. The invariably spray painted sign in plywood will range from 75$ to 225$ depending on the type, age, legality and season of the wood for sale. You can get load of mill ends (about two front end loaders full, or a face cord) dumped into your own pickup truck for about $100 at the local stud mill but it burns hot and fast usually.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home