Friday, December 03, 2004

Backsplash Tiling



This is my first attepmt at hand made tiles. I'd like to do a countertop backsplash when we get around to remodeling the kitchen and possible other parts of the house as well.
e

6 comment(s):

  • oh my goodness...those are just so cute...beth was thinking your backsplash would look so cool with those tiles and the rest of it done in river rock...kewl...do you already have a plan?

    By Blogger merideth, at 12/05/2004 08:49:00 PM  

  • Thank Merideth,

    At this point actually redoing the kitchen is so far in the hazy future that I'm not actually making peices for the back splash so much as I'm trying to hone the tiling making skills for future use. Eventually, we'd like to have a tile and river rock blacksplash that wrapped around and tied the whole kitchen together, and, of course, recessed lighting 'cause really, whats a kitchen these days without under cabinet lighting set so as to show off your backsplash?


    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 12/06/2004 04:26:00 PM  

  • ha HA! a little dose of your own medicine scotty boy! a little one thing at a time message? hmmmm? lol...well it'll look great when you get to it i'm certain! :)

    By Blogger merideth, at 12/06/2004 08:15:00 PM  

  • yah, yah, yah..... yah. One thing at a time, I know. Why can't real life be like the Sims? Want a new kitchen? Poof. Done. New kitchen. Brits next project: gut and redo her sewing room. My next major project: new deck off the bedroom, then the basement, new either the shop or the kitchen - its so far down the road I can't even really think about it.

    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 12/07/2004 08:24:00 AM  

  • Scott - let me know when you start taking tiling orders!
    A neat floor idea: a concrete floor with scattered star shaped tiles set throughout. I saw that in the courtyard of a house in one of my Moroccan decorating books. I bet you could even find a star-shaped cookie cutter to cut the tiles. I'll have to send you a photocopy of the page.


    By Blogger Kasmira, at 12/07/2004 01:20:00 PM  

  • Kasmira,

    I've been experimenting with some extra beefy tiles designed for emplacement in concrete. I made them about an inch thick and made extra deep and wide grooves in the back for adherence with the grittier material.

    Tile cutters look like cookie cutters on steroids. The really swanky ones have a little squeeze activated tool for popping the cut tile loose from the cutter. I plan to buy one with some of the pottery money I hope will come my way from the Christmas sales at the gallery. Then I can start making tiles in earnest.

    SD


    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 12/07/2004 01:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home