Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Calling Virgos and other organized people

This coming Sunday is slated for a hall closet makeover. I’m fishing for suggestions with this post. I’ll try to get pictures tonight.

We have a stubby little bathtub in the original bathroom of the house that is squashed in under the stairs that lead up to the second floor. The tub is so small that it can't have been comfortable for any previous residents bigger than Ewoks (the little bears who live in huts high up in the trees).


My theory on that is that when bathing in a tub on the kitchen floor or on a theorized back porch that is no longer with us became blasé, they looked around and thought, “hmm, where can I cram an uncomfortable little tub?” We’ve never used it for anything besides dumping out the occasional mop bucket or bathing a resigned animal or two. What the tub does do, though, is take up what would otherwise be useful storage space in the hall closet. In order to accommodate the tub, they built a protruding box that takes up all but the first six inches of depth in the closet. There isn’t even room in there to really hang a coat.

We thought it would be a better use of the space to put in shelves for storing shoes and various things you’d keep in the front hall like tennis ball wingers, dog leashes, hats and gloves, etc. Rather than just building random shelves across the closet space, I’d like to incorporate some clever space saving designs or neat little tricks. Any suggestions?

4 comment(s):

  • Scott,
    This may sound really LAME, but check out Martha Stewart's book "Good Things for Organizing" (or something like that). If you can't get it at the library, let me know, and I can mail you my copy to borrow.

    Kasmira


    By Blogger Kasmira, at 12/01/2004 10:27:00 AM  

  • Oh my gosh! I'm salivating over the title itself! Must find Martha's book!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/01/2004 03:27:00 PM  

  • While I am not a Virgo (Pisces -- and I tend to not believe in the whole thing anyway), I have a love of the organization, and the linen closet is my nemesis. However, I recently saw some shelf dividers that are intriguing to me, as you can build your basic shelves, but then add in THESE. The towels, then, will NOT FALL OVER INTO THE STACK OF SHEETS. I think they could work for hall closets, too, and let you stack higher than one shoe per shelf. Plus, the dividers are not solid, so air can still circulate, ensuring a fresher-smelling closet.
    http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product.asp?product=236737zz&dept%5Fid=10500&subdept%5Fid=10520

    -Beth (of Merideth & Beth)


    By Blogger Beth, at 12/02/2004 07:30:00 AM  

  • Great Blog! I also have a site about chocolate mousse natural
    . You can check it out at chocolate mousse natural


    Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

    FREE DVD Camcorder


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/26/2005 02:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home