Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The Berries of Wrath Lay Heavy on the Vine






Yesterday we got outside and worked in the yard, really for the first time this spring. Every year I cut back another section of backberries and japanese knotweed (or Polygonum cuspidatum for Kieth who abhores common names) and get more grass going. This is the perfect time of year for a sneak attack on the blackberries. While the plant doesn't drop its leaves and hibernate, it is at its lowest point at this time of year. The blackberries are on the ropes and my shears are the rope-a-dope baby.






The knotweed, on the other hand is a much more tenacious foe. I cut it back, dig up the roots balls and religiously pluck any shoots that come up in my recaptured territory, but it just keeps coming back. I have one section that I cuts down, dug up, and seeded with grass three years ago and I still have knotweed coming up each spring. Anyone have any silver bullets?


Also, yesterday we fired up the barbecue for the first time since last fall. It was warm enough that after finishing work I sat on the patio and had a beer and watch the sunlight move up the trees after the sun had gone down over the hill. It was a moment for quiet reflection and deep thoughts - not that any came to mind in the end.

1 comment(s):

  • Ah, God bless the binomial nomenclature. I fight a similar war with lilacs and rose. Runners going everywhere. Good luck.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/22/2005 08:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home