Wednesday, February 09, 2005

I was thinking today about why it is important to me to never say anything overtly political on my blog. Every now and then I slip up but usually constrain myself to agreeing with people I share a common view with when they say something about a particular issue or voicing a dissenting opinion in their forum if its appropriate. As far as I know, I've yet to make my first pissy posting.
I guess I was thinking about this because whenever I hear a reference to "the bloggers" in the main stream media its always in reference to political blogs that hound Dan Rather or somehow influence the search for WMDs, or whatever. I picture a locust swarm scouring websites and issuing torrents of freedom of information requests, and while that probably happens and its probably a positive influence in the world, it has very little to do with why I blog and more why I so enjoy checking my blogs when I get the time.
What I really dig is the mundane, everyday, true-to-life postings of a small circle of people who have similar problems, joys, and hardships as do I. I'd much rather read about the quest for the right underwear to wear under a Navy birthday ball gown or what its like to lug a dump truck load of mulch into the backyard or how someone I know is rewiring their house because these are problems and experiences I've had. OK, I've never worn a gown to a formal occasion in public, but I did go to five formal balls and so I can relate.
The point is, I'd rather read the daily musings and reports of people I'd like to grab a cup of coffee with than participate in what I hear about political blogging. If I want to hear my own opinions affirmed about politics, I can choose which talk shows to tune in to. I'd rather read things that touch me and I’ll remember when I'm doing things like lugging load after load of firewood up the steps, or trying to figure out my own wiring problems or how to keep the critters who indiscriminately poop out of the house.

3 comment(s):

  • A-men.

    By Blogger Jess, at 2/10/2005 06:00:00 AM  

  • Every once in a while, I try to do my civic duty and read the two Cincinnati blogs I have on my "favorites" (http://saveourcity.blogspot.com/ and http://cincinnati.blogspot.com/) but I just get bored by all the complaining. I'd rather read the "fluff" on personal blogs. I figure I've done my part to keep educated by reading the NY Times before I allow myself to go blogging.

    By Blogger Kasmira, at 2/10/2005 07:53:00 AM  

  • I do love this little window into you, your wife, and your child's lives. I wish to reciprocate, but am stuck on the name. Thanks for posting!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/10/2005 11:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home