Sunday, January 08, 2006

After


After
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.
Yesterday was mostly about recovering from a nasty chest and head cold. It never seems to fail. My extended relatives make me sick at Christmas (literally) and then I have the second busiest week of the year as everybody comes back for winter quarter.

At any rate, even though I never really made it out of the PJs I decided I needed at least one project for the day that would be more meaningful and lasting than doing the dishes. I decided to spiff up the woodstove, which while doing admirable duty in keeping us at a toasty and uniform 68 degrees F. was looking decidedly shabby.

I threw out two of the three fire pokers we had accumulated. Who needs three hot pokers? Has a three headed fire hydra ever menaced us from within the firebox? I can see the headlines, though if we had kept these three dangerous objects in the house (man runs amok with three fire pokers). I generally wiped down and spruced up. Lastly I applied vinegar and scrubby pads to the two copper boilers we use for storing firewood. My parents have had one of them since before me. I got the other one off Ebay a couple of years ago when we put the stove in. I've been meaning to give them a good scrubbing since and yesterday was their day. In spite of that, I only gave them a partially good scrubbing. Completely pink copper will have to wait for another day to really shine.

Note for any of you guys out there who might be looking for a great way to ingratiate yourself with your spouse; spend 45 minutes flicking green verdigris laden vinegar all around the kitchen with a scrubby pad while the copper boilers make really loud and annoying pop can crinkling noises. Then get yourself an electric drill with a brush bit attached and head back to the kitchen. She'll love it!

1 comment(s):

  • Very nice job, even though you were suffering from the Washington crud...now they key to the fireplace this year is to not burn your fingers, how are they by the way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/11/2006 01:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home