Saturday, June 11, 2005

Now thats more like it...

transplanted 139 corn plants from peat potters to the garden today - back in the saddle hoo hah!

5 comment(s):

  • I also have a question... how big were your peat pots? We planted out some corn at our allotment a fortnight back and it's not doing as well as we'd have expected considering the weather here has been pretty good (well by UK summer standards anyway). We were wondering if it was because we hadn't used big enough pots since we noticed that they had tap roots that were bursting out of the bottom of the little paper pots we planted them in

    By Blogger Lynette, at 6/12/2005 11:58:00 AM  

  • All"s I can say it that is a lot of corn. YOu will be selling it on the street all summer long. You can make canned corn, creamed corn, frozen corn, corn chowder, corn relish and corn bread. My corn is finally up this weekend as are the beans and all the flowers that I love to plant. I was hoping for a little more sun today, but the little we are getting grows a great garden.

    Garret I live in the same area in Washington and I have a eight foot fence that surrounds the garden. We have hords of deer and rabbits that would eat ever piece if it was not fenced, I do not know how Scott keeps them out.

    Scott As for you conferences all I can say is bring on the learning, be ready to teach becasue we are set to learn the new techno stuff...and yea sure you got lost at 10am with the bikini's and beer...see ya.....j


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/12/2005 04:33:00 PM  

  • Garrett,
    I remember the rabid rabbits of San Angelo that would keep the lawns trimmed right down to the roots. I think it’s a harder life for herbivores down in the great state of Texas than it is up here in Western Washington (the wet side of the state). Everything is green here and most of it is benign to the palate. That being said, the garden patch that my dad started and I’m currently using seems to have always been free of quadrupedic predation (having said that I know that now a horde of wabbits is descending on my garden right this instant). The mystery woman who never signs in to do her posting or puts her name at the bottom of her anonymous postings lives about twenty miles away from me in a more rural area. Theory One: There are more deer out her way than there are in my relatively citified local. Theory Two: two labs, a rot, and a rot/lab mix do enough peeing in my garden area to keep the deer away. Theory Three: My garden is located on top of an old Indian burial ground and the bad ju ju karma keeps the animals away. Probably reality is a mix of all three. I hope I have a surplus of veggies. I hope there is a cornucopia of fresh truck. I want to have all my friends and neighbors come get veggies and still have enough left to fill up the freezer.

    Lynette,
    This is my first experience with pre-potting corn. I started the major of my kernels in peat pots big enough to hold about four ounces or two shots of whiskey. Do you use ounces in the UK? Is whiskey a good universal system of measurement for explaining garden plots? I also planted ten or so in square plastic pots that came home from the store containing green starts in previous years. These grew quite a bit more in the pots than did the little peat pot guys, almost double. I planted my corn when all the plants had four leaves each. My tap roots with pushing out of the pots as well. I did read that starting corn indoors in a warm area and then moving them out of doors is a bad idea and will stunt your plants. I started mine out of doors on a picnic table. Warmth isn’t our issue over here. Its getting the soil dry enough to till that is the hold up.

    Cheers,
    SD


    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 6/13/2005 02:50:00 PM  

  • You are correct our home is miles off any road and the deer and elk utilize it for a refuge. This week the fawns are running across the feilds and they are so tiny, they are the size of a new puppy. But in about four weeks they will be taught to come over the electric fence and eat every leaf off the roses and any flower that taste good. So the first theroy is correct. Now for the Indian burial ground this would also have to pretain to where I live. My family has been here for ever and when my father was very young they found many arrow heads at the top of our hill where our home is built. It is also thought that in our back yard a young child was buried and every year flowers grow at this site and we have never planted them there. So I am going with the dog theroy, we have two but they do not run much, very home oriented....

    I plan on sneaking in, in the middle of the night and picking all the beans, so I can, can more :)

    and I sign every post with ever generic j......


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/13/2005 08:44:00 PM  

  • Hurrah! Yay for gardening!

    By Blogger Beth, at 6/14/2005 08:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home