Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Exactly....


SD1 has a good point....

6 comment(s):

  • Okay, so I'm angry, but I have a full-time job and "real" journalism these days leaves something to be desired. Obviously it does for many or else why would everyone be reading and writing blogs. I have also read that the surge in documentary-making and their popularity is because the mainstream press isn't doing their job.

    The press focuses way too much on Tom Cruise and runaway bride-type stories- it's pathetic. Okay, done ranting now.


    By Blogger Jocelyn, at 7/05/2005 10:59:00 AM  

  • I think its interesting that neither Jocelyn nor myself apparently read Doonsbury in the Sunday paper, even though it is currently sitting next to my couch and probably also in printed form somewhere in her house too. My cousin read my blog, made a comment, I read the comic online, and linked to it, and now we are discussing the topic Doonsbury was satirizing.

    I think the trend towards individualized media consumption is great. I can Tivo or Netflix my shows and movies, podcast my radio, and surf my blogs and newsites. I'm getting a little tired of all the hoopla in the media about blogging and dealing with people's misconceptions of what blogging is, but I think its necessary as we sort out as a society what all this new stuff means.

    I'm not sure if the mainstream press is doing a better or worse job of deciding what is newsworthy and delivering it to us, but I find that I car less and less what Ted Koppel has to say.


    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 7/05/2005 12:09:00 PM  

  • By the way, I don't actually have cable or Tivo...

    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 7/05/2005 05:58:00 PM  

  • The public hears what they want, and the press only does mention the bad about blogs when they are on the news. I mean hey the daily news even has a blog. If the press said that blogging was good and that predetors did not use them, there would be no news to many with a empty cup! I enjoy reading and have learned anything from gardening to cooking, I myself work at getting one up and going but as of yet NOT.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/06/2005 11:44:00 AM  

  • I read that comic while at work waiting to go home the other morning and thought of bloggers in general, not you. Actually I thought of that Asian kid who lives in manhattan and writes blogs about going to school, getting high, and going to raves. Your blog remains pretty close to the 'mission statement' preamble featured in your original post,which is commendable considering the tempation to write about kitties and breakfast cereal.

    SD1 - aka. cousin Steve


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/07/2005 04:44:00 PM  

  • Newsweek = Truth
    Branch Davidians = Not Crazy
    Oprah = Fun for heterosexual males to watch
    G. Bush = Putting food on our families

    ..feel free to jump in


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/08/2005 10:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home