Friday, June 17, 2005

Reagan IVX


reagan
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.
Mr. Dennis, Build this fence!

I will start to build the Great Wall of Clark Creek this coming Monday. I will have one week off from work, a sufficient materials budget, and help on hand from burly family members. The purpose of the fence will be to hopefully keep the critters (two and four legged varieties) out of the road and creek when it is at flood stage. I'd a design that is both economical and reasonably pleasing to the eye. I'd like it to be sturdy and make some architectural reference to our log siding. I want to be able to build the fence in stages. By this I mean I want to put up the posts and close mesh wire fencing and then come back to do the wooden slats time and materials permitting. The fence will need at least three gates – one behind the house, one at the corner bordering the road and creek and a third one leading from the yard to the driveway.

Unresolved Questions:

1. How long should my posts be? I’m thinking a five foot high fence with three foot holes should be about right. Any thoughts?

2. How far apart should I space the posts? Right now I’m thinking of putting the 4x4s eight feet apart with a 2x4 rail mounted on the sides of the 2x4s at the top and bottom of the posts and a 2x6 rail capping the top of the posts and the top 2x4 rail.

3. In what order should I layer the fencing and rails? Currently I’m thinking of putting up the posts the first day and pouring the concrete, and staining the 2x4s. The next day will be for stretching and nailing the fencing to the inside of the posts, screwing down the 2x4s over the fencing and screwing down the 2x6s into the 2x4s and 4x4s from the top. Then when I have them, I’d like to come back and screw in vertical slates of log slab to the exterior of the 2x4 railings, under the cover of the 2x6s. I currently have a line on wood slabs from a little local saw mill. If that falls through I was thinking of ripping in two my own little alder trees with the table saw. Any thoughts on that one?

4. Any reason I shouldn’t build my own gates?

5. I’m thinking a low voltage wire and ground height will probably be necessary to keeping the puppy from digging out. Where do I go to get the necessary equipment? The most convenient power outlet is in the bedroom. Do I just plug into an outlet or do I need to do wiring?

That’s about all I can think of right now. I’m sure more questions will come.

4 comment(s):

  • I think you'd have a hard time ripping alder trees on the tablesaw. You'd have to bring them to a mill, or use one of those portable chainsaw mills.

    By Blogger Derek, at 6/17/2005 03:10:00 PM  

  • I did three foot deep hole only on the corners and gates. I found two foot holes to be silly-sufficent on the rest of the fence. Make sure you pack that sacrete in with a stick.

    I did spacing around (ie. less than) eight feet.most people say, measure the distance and then divide it evenly to come out under 8 feet. Then it's all cool and even.

    I think that cutting your own green alder would be a nightmare...and then after its up...well...treated lumber even warps a bit but fresh alder scares me.

    The whole low voltage wire thing gets the old :( from me. Keep your dogs inner-tained and they won't leave. Or hell, just plant some knotweed around the perimeter. Our dog isn't a digger, so we have no problems, and I haven't heard any of my dog owner friends having any digging-under-fence problem. Boo.


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/17/2005 05:32:00 PM  

  • On more consideration I think the alder ripping would be a bad idea all around. I made contact with the guy who has the little rural sawmill operation. He is currently milling cedar and says he has a growing supply of side slabs. One night after working on the fence Cousin Steve and I will probably drive out to his place for a look see. Even if we don't come away with any, the drive will most likely be an enjoyable one.

    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 6/19/2005 10:34:00 AM  

  • You've never heard of a dog digging under a fence? Are you serious?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/26/2005 07:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home