Saturday, June 10, 2006

How the heck did it get to be June 10th already?

It’s Saturday morning at the house with a hot cuppa tea and the boys are both still crashed out. It is good to be home. My trip was busy and very interesting – not what I’d call fun but very informative. Tomorrow I leave for an overnight to Yakima but then I get to stay home for the rest of the month.

No brewing news to report. I went out and unloaded the kiln last night and waxed my feet and bases. I didn’t lose anything in the firing, which is a relief because I had some really big pieces packed tightly in there. I’ll sneak out and glaze this morning before we go to a barbecue.

In the exercise/career development area, easily the best news is the possibility of becoming the junior frogman. Our college has a series of swimming and lifeguard training classes that run at noon. I’ve been talking to the instructor and trying to get in there to lap swim on my lunch breaks. He is someone that I work with in a few other capacities at the college and have come to know over the past few years. Anyway, yesterday he approached me and told me that he will be retiring in another few years and hasn’t identified anyone to take over his classes and that I might consider it. How much would that rock? Teach swimming and CIS courses online and do my administrator gig as a supp contract or additional duty? I could get a big chunk of the summers off and maybe even be my own kids’ swim teacher/coach. Obviously I’d better not try to get a job in the English dept. with all my incomplete sentences. Over the next few years, I’d have to get certified as a lifeguard and swim instructor and then state certified to teach lifeguards and instructors. I was a fairly strong swimmer in high school and the military but that was ten years ago. He said to meet him Tuesday at the pool and he’d “get me started.” I think that may end up being a euphemism for kicking my butt, we’ll see.

Corn is up and it looks like a good crop. Only about half as many bean plants are up as I had hoped for. I’m going to try starting a second batch. Potatoes are chugging along just fine.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home