Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Beer Update

I just wrote the following in an email to an enquiring friend. I'll post it here as well (pics soon).

Beer - I forgot to respond to that.

My first two batches were a stout and an IPA (which I blogged about initially). They both turned out quite tasty in my opinion, with the stout being the better of the two. The IPA was too hoppy and bitter for a lot of folks, but I liked it. Maybe I'll call that recipe Earwax IPA for now. Both the stout and IPA are now mostly a happy and somewhat foggy memory except for two bottles of each that I kept for doing future comparisons.

Then I did a porter, which is currently in the keg but hasn't been there long enough to sample. I'm a tad concerned about it as I never saw any active evidence of the fermentation process happening (no bubbles). On the other hand, it did ferment at a lower temp and for a longer period of time than the first two and the sediment in the primary looked normal. I'll probably tap the keg this Friday, so we'll see.

This past Saturday I brewed another IPA (different recipe) and a hef, both of which are bubbling merrily away. In fact the hef blew out two fermentation locks before I finally put a burp tube in instead.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home