Saturday, May 07, 2005

A Saturday Like I Like 'Em

Tomorrow is my dad's birthday so today was sort of about doing stuff with him. We got two pickup loads of cedar chips and spread them on the trail that runs back and forth between our two houses. We're headed over there for dinner and a movie in a few minutes. Good times.

After the chips I made one more run back to the garden supply place. They are trying to get rid of their winter stuff and so pickup loads of mill ends (fir) are only twelve bucks right now - thats enough wood to heat our place for two months - six bucks a month when we paid 380$ for one power bill two winters ago when all we had was baseboard heat. Did I say six bucks already?

Question for any home renno readers - laying 2.5" fir flooring in the expansion upstairs to match the original 70 year old floor; do it myself or hire somebody? I've read a few how-to websites but haven't spoken with anyone who has actually done it.

3 comment(s):

  • I only have one answer for you, SD: DIY. I believe you can rent the nailer you'll need from any tool-rental place.

    Not that I've layed a floor myself, yet. I ripped ours up today, but I haven't put one down. Let us know how it goes! :)


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/07/2005 06:20:00 PM  

  • Hey Scott,
    I definately say DIY. We've been working on patching our 50-year-old red oak floors for the last few weeks, and it is coming out beautifully. We rented a pneumatic nailer from Home Depot twice so far (may have to once more), and the transition from old to new is virtually seemless, both in the place where the hole floor is new, and in the places where old boards had to be replaced from termite damage, right in the middle of the old floor. I can't wait until it's sanded and stained so it all matches!

    Leah
    PS The nailer is very easy to use and does an excellent job setting those nails on the perfect angle.


    By Blogger Nystral Djo, at 5/09/2005 08:15:00 AM  

  • I have found various instructions on how-to websites - some more explicit than others. Have either of you seen anything online that seems like good material in hindsight?

    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 5/09/2005 12:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home