Thursday, July 14, 2005

Random Bed Picture...


Bed
Originally uploaded by gene_poole.
...I found while looking for pictures of beds built into closets. Maybe they should spend less on furniture and more on fixing the roof??

....Some Like It Hot.... which I've never seen.... I just put it in my Netflix queue - anything for house project research, right?

Jason, I'm headed for the studio tonight. I'll get those pictures you asked for.

Received this in email from Cousin Steve, "Caught up on your blog. Are you going to build that bunk bed project yourself? What size mattress are you going to use? I could help you design it to be Navy style if you like, but we will have to run a leaky water pipe over the bed and mount a little speaker next to where the head will be that emits a constant machinery hum and an occasional ruckus of a couple of guys arguing and then wrestling on the floor. I think it's a great idea, all kidding aside."

I like the idea of a slight nautical theme but I definitely don't want the haze gray and underway theme. I'd like to create a space that slightly evocative of a tall ship berthing space or a train sleeper car but not completely so. I also have been thinking of the sleeping cabinet from Wuthering Heights but without the window.

As for the contractor/who is helping me on this one question; I figure I can use all the help I can get (both hired, sired, and related to – OK, maybe the boy is too young to help but I’m looking forward to that day), both from time and expertise standpoints. We called the father of some people we went to school with who is a retired mill worker/master carpenter who takes building furniture to a high art form and has filled his own house with gorgeous wood floors, etc. He said he was too tired to take on another project right now and it turned out that most of his sixty year old carpenter friends were too.

We did make contact, though; with a man who had been recommended by several too busy or too old and tired carpenters who it turned out is also the father of a former classmate. He said he booked solid through November or December but that he’d stop by the house (last weekend) to take a look and give us advice. He ended up spending almost two hours poking around the house with us, looking at what we’ve already done and talking about future projects.

He ended up saying that he could take Fridays off from the house he is building to come work with me on my project on days when I am in town and have the day off (I don’t work Fridays in the summer usually). I’m hoping that he can help me keep from making stupid mistakes and be there for the parts that experience and expertise help with and that during the rest of the week I can do the principal of the work. As for the size of the mattress, we’ll probably buy a single ahead of time and build to match that.

SD

3 comment(s):

  • I kinda like the rollout idea though...too bad we have NO SPACE or closets or we could do something like that under one of the beds...i think it is better to go with drawers though...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/14/2005 10:46:00 AM  

  • I enjoy that you wooed a contractor on Fridays. Very nice.

    I also enjoy the built-in speakers with engine noise. Fabulous white noise for sleeping children, and then they'll have no trouble sleeping when they move into the dorms for college.


    By Blogger Beth, at 7/14/2005 11:25:00 AM  

  • Plus, with speakers in the kids beds, we could play subliminal messages for them while they sleep "Mowing the lawn is fun...." "Only losers need drugs to get high...." "Your sister is not a space alien...."

    By Blogger Scott in Washington, at 7/14/2005 12:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home