Sunday, May 08, 2005

Over the Hill and Through the Woods

Today, I took a break from the yard work and gardening and walked over the trail that goes from our house over the hill to the house I grew up in and where my parents still live.

First you cross Brit's brick patio...




and go up the steps...





and across the hillside we are slowly but steadily reclaiming from the blackberries...





and across the first bridge...








and past the trilliums, which have big star shaped flowers white with a touch of purple when in bloom. Don't pick them. I've been told they won't bloom again for seven years if you pick them. I don't know if thats true or not but it kept me from picking them more than once as a kid.


...and through the woods...


keep going...




Watch out for gnomes...





After 119 steps, you come down the hill to my folk's place.




I thought the picture would let you see the house peeking back into the woods but I guess not.




Little white flowers that I don't have a name for but have always meant Spring to me.





Watch out for hobbits. They live in these woods. Its true!


3 comment(s):

  • I LOVE the path to Dad's house...what wonderful memories for the kidlet!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/08/2005 08:26:00 PM  

  • What a great pathway for Thomas to run to grandma and grandpa's house, it reminds me of when I was a little girl and walked to my cousins house, which was down the feild, through the woods, across the creek and down the cow path (look out for cow pies). The bark chips are great, they will stop the weeds and yes do not pick the Easter Lilies, they take forever to come back. I picked so many on our ranch as a child that I think they are gone forever. Now Spring Beauties come back all the time and smell very sweet......Have you seen the wood faces that you can put on the tree's I have them on a tree out side my garden and the little ones love them, you need to add some to the trail on the tree's..plus how about a hanging basket here and there....more work for you...:) Hey are you an over achiever with the plant starts or what, nice job....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/09/2005 01:40:00 PM  

  • what a beautiful spot you live in. i love the path through the woods, those kids have such freedom that just isnt possible for city kids. i totally relate to your home renovations and gardening adventures, you garden is fabulous.

    By Blogger kath red, at 5/24/2005 02:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home